Thursday, March 17, 2011

Hammond Castle

On Saturday I went to Hammond Castle in Gloucester, Ma. It's still closed for the season until May, so I wasn't able to go all the way around the castle or go inside. Another visit is definitely in order.

 The castle was built between 1926 and 1929 and was the home to John Hays Hammond Jr. An inventor and prankster who was known to usher his guests into a room, closing them inside. Only for them to find out that there were no door handles on their side of the room! He created hidden passages in the castle and was able to spy on or sneak up on anyone in the castle.

A free standing wall enhances the ocean view.
Lions gaurding the drawbridge.
I love the gargoyles perched around the castle. All different faces and expressions.
There's still a bit of snow on the ground, but it was an absolutely gorgeous day! I love how the shadows on my side of the doorway really enhanced the bright colors in the sun on the other side.
The crashing waves and the view from behind the castle are just breathtakingly beautiful...
I love all the textures. Old iron door, granite walls, and smooth pillars.
In the Summer when it opens back up for tourists I'll get some nice shots from the gazebo!
Keeping a watchful eye on all the guests. Hammond Castle is often used for weddings. I'd love to do some portraits here!
Handsome lion.

Spectacular architecture, perfect sky...
I hope you've enjoyed visiting the castle with me. I can't wait for Spring to officially be here so I can share some more of My New England with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment