Thursday, March 10, 2011

The butterfly place

Since we talked about butterflies being great practice for moving objects and waiting to capture them at the perfect moment, I wanted to take you to The butterfly place in Westford, Ma.
After the ice storms from last winter damaged the roof, the trees and pretty much destroyed The butterfly place they were closed for quite some time. I was super excited to visit once they had rebuilt the greenhouse!
There are so many beautiful species of butterflies and moths, and it's so much fun to try capturing them.
I loved the two of these perched upside down together.
The different variations of color, shape, patern on them amazes me. Some looked like someone had taken some pinking shears to them!
Even though The butterfly place is fairly small, they manage to pack a whole lot of butterflies in!
For me, trying to capture them and not make every shot look the same is a great challenge since most of them flutter around at waist height bushes. Kneeling down to take a shot straight up to the glass roof really made this Monarch stand out in front of the bright blue sky.
The leopard patern on this guy was fascinating to me!
And when he perched on the purple flowers for a bit of nectar, I got quite a few shots! The action setting on the Canon EOS 40D is a wonderful tool.
Such vibrant colors around every turn. Both the flora and the butterflies!
If you love butterflies or photography or both, I would recommend The butterfly place. I would love to do a children's portrait shoot here! I may have to plan a session for sometime this spring... Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment